Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Oia, Santorini

    October 27, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Another easy morning with a very delicious breakfast on our terrace. This is such a beautiful place to wake up to and we are loving the ease of staying here. We had a very relaxing morning lazing in the spa and just chilling out.

    We decided to go to “our local”, the Golden Sunset Cafe for lunch and Brad once again ordered his favourite, grilled squid, and I tried the local tomato balls which were delicious. Brad has been enjoying the local beer, Mythos, and the local white wine has been very easy to drink. Initially we did think €5 per glass was expensive but it is a very big glass and they fill it to the top. Great value.

    After lunch we decided to catch the bus to Oia, the other well known town of Santorini. The bus ride was interesting as there appear to be no limit to the number of people you can fit on a bus. We were crammed in and actually stood in the back stairwell for most of the journey.

    It was very interesting seeing the contrast between the “tourist” towns and the local areas of Santorini. It is very dry and arid looking here and we did wonder how the locals survive as there is very little farming. The other thing we were unaware of when booking was that the majority of the towns close down once the tourist season is over and I do wonder how many of the locals actually stay on the island.

    Oia is a very pretty town and different to Fira in that there is more colour in the buildings and a slightly different style. I loved wandering through the shops as they offered different things to what Fira offered. We walked into an art gallery and walked out with a lovely canvas picture of one of the many interesting doors in Oia. We love taking home a piece of art to put on the walls as it is a constant reminder of our wonderful adventures.

    We spent a very relaxing afternoon strolling the laneways, patting the cats, and taking some great photos of the vista. Viewing the sunset from Oia is meant to be the best vantage point to see the sun setting on Santorini but we decided we didn’t want to hang around as the town was filling up with more tourists and we were very happy with the view from our terrace in Firastefani.

    We caught the bus home, not as squashed this time, and spent the rest of the day enjoying our down time on our terrace. Another excellent day in Santorini.
    Read more