Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre

    September 18, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We said good-bye to Venice today and made our way to Riomaggiore by way of three separate train trips. After a busy start to our trip we were looking forward to relaxing and exploring the Cinque Terre area. We weren't planning to do the well-known hikes between the villages, as it was way too hot and we had already walked enough, this was just going to be some much needed down time.

    One thing I did not realise when choosing to stay at Riomaggiore was how bloody steep it was. It was exhausting just finding our way to our accommodation every day! But in saying that it was a lovely little village and our accommodation was amazing.

    Riomaggiore is the first of the five fishing villages of Cinque Terre as you leave La Spezia. It dates back to the early 8th century and is known for its historic character and its wine, and is well recognised by the vivid red tower house built on the edge of the marina. With only one main "street", it is a maze of pedestrian lanes, archways and stairs, lots and lots of stairs.

    What I loved about Riomaggiore was in fact how small and contained it was, the colourful tower houses, the cafes and shops, and the general vibe of the place. And I loved seeing the Italian nonnas and nonnos watching out of their windows or just sat on their terraces overlooking life below. Quintessential Italian.

    While I don't know that I would choose to stay in Riomaggiore again, mainly due to the steepness of just walking anywhere, I am so glad we chose to stay this time and loved our time here.
    Read more