Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella

    September 24, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Our second day in Florence was a bit more relaxing, starting off with breakfast in front of the Cathedral again. Great food, great prices, amazing view – how could we not go back. A great way to start our day.

    Today we did a bit of “house-keeping” – we packed up things we hadn’t used yet and didn’t think we would use (and my broken camera and lenses) and posted a parcel home to lighten our load when travelling from town to town. Feeling a bit proud of ourselves that we managed to get this done with very little Italian. Now fingers crossed it arrives home safely.

    First and really our only tourist stop for the day was Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, the Old Pharmacy of Santa Maria Novella. I had read about this site on my favourite Atlas Obscura website so added it my “must see” list as the history is amazing.

    The Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy is probably the oldest still-operating pharmacy in the world, and certainly the oldest in Italy. It was established in 1221, when the Dominican monks from the adjacent Basilica of Santa Maria Novella began growing herbs to make balms, salves and medicines for their infirmary. The superior quality of their products became widely known, and in the 17th century, the pharmacy opened its doors to the public.

    Today the pharmacy still uses the traditional preparation methods, and still carries products using the original recipes of the monks. The pharmacy is in an extraordinary original building that was a former papal residence. With rooms complete with vaulted ceilings, ornate gilding, frescoes, walnut cabinetry, glass-stoppered decanters full of colourful potions, marble floors, stain glass windows, bronze statues and antique apothecary scales and mortars, it is a feast for the eyes as there is so much to see and admire. Gives our local pharmacy a lot to aspire to.

    Thankfully I had read it was hard to locate and very easy to walk right by, so I was quite happy we managed to find the pharmacy and were able to go in and admire the beauty and the history.
    Read more