Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Santorini

    October 25, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Our destination for today was the beautiful island of Santorini. Upon landing in Rome for our connection we checked the weather for Santorini and the site said it was thunderstorms today, so we expected to land in bad weather. However once again the weather turned in our favour and we arrived to the most amazing blue skies with no clouds in sight. The thunderstorms had been and gone.

    We were met at the airport by our driver and fifteen minutes later we were checking in to our accommodation for the next four days, Ellinon Thea Boutique Hotel. Once again we were very happy with our room and our little terrace had its own spa from which we could sit and watch the sun set. We very quickly unpacked and headed out to explore our little town of Firostefani.

    Firostefani is a fifteen-minute walk from Fira, the capital of Santorini, but it really is just an extension of the capital. I selected this place because of its closeness to Fira and for its views of Santorini’s well-known spectacular sunsets. Santorini’s sunsets are considered one of the most famous sunsets worldwide.

    Even though the sun was shining the wind was howling and it was bitterly cold. That still didn’t take away from our enjoyment of this beautiful town. We loved the white buildings built into the brown and red cliffs against the amazing blue sky and blue sea.

    We were a bit peckish so decided to try the cafe just below our accommodation, Golden Sunset Cafe. The host was extremely welcoming and we enjoyed having a laugh with him. We ordered what we thought was going to be a plate of calamari rings but in fact it was a grilled squid, all of it, and it was delicious.

    After our late lunch we had a quick stroll around Firostefani before heading back to the Golden Sunset Cafe for another drink while we watched our first Santorini sunset, and it was spectacular. I have to say the wines here extremely easy to drink and very big, so we were feeling quite merry, but very cold, by the time the sun had set.

    We returned to our room, Brad had a very quick dip in the spa (it was not heated), and we then ordered in for dinner. It was our first taste of a Greek gyros, another thing we like about Greece. We are looking forward to our four days of relaxation here at Santorini.
    Read more