Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Giardino Bellini, Catania

    October 24, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Our last stop for the day is the Giardino Bellini, also known as Villa Bellini. It is the oldest urban park in Catania and occupies 70.942 m2. Before the construction of a public garden the area was occupied by a botanical maze owned by the prince of Biscari. In 1854, the Comune di Catania bought the area of the maze and in 1864 started to adapt the area into a public garden. The Giardino Bellini was finally inaugurated in 1883.

    I think the most exciting thing about visiting the park, besides enjoying the greenery amongst the city of stone, was the view of Mt Etna in the distance. It was quite a shock to realise we were as close to it as we were, especially as it is the highest active and largest volcano in Europe. And it is only 35km from where we are staying. Maybe I should have researched that before staying here.

    After a lovely stroll around the gardens, enjoying the shade, we made our way back to our accommodation for our afternoon riposo. We enjoyed our last afternoon and night with dinner and drinks at our Café before heading out early the next morning to catch a plane to Santorini, Greece. We had our final glimpse of Mt Etna smoking in the distance as we entered the airport. The smoking part had me concerned so I was happy we were moving on, although I was sad to be leaving Italy. It has truly captured my heart.
    Read more