Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Stumbling Stones of Rome

    September 6, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    One thing I was on the look out for while walking the Trastevere district was the Stolpersteine, German for “stumbling stones”. These are brass-plated cobblestones inscribed with the name of a Holocaust victim and the details of their death. They mark the specific place where the victim lived or worked before being forced from their home and sent to extermination camps.

    There are more than 200 of these mini memorial plaques in Rome and more than 30000 around Europe. They are part of a larger project by German artist Gunter Demnig who created the project in hopes that those that stumbled across them would take a moment to pause, look down in respect and reflect on those dark years.

    They certainly made us once again be thankful for the lives we have. It is so far out of our imagination that things like the Holocaust could actually happen, that people could be so strong in their beliefs that they would think their actions were the right actions, that trying to wipe out a whole race of people was acceptable. So hard to comprehend and so sad to be standing in the spot where that happened.
    Read more