Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Abbey of San Galgano

    September 18, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We took a slight detour on the way to Siena to visit the Abbey of San Galgano, a Cistercian Monastery founded in the valley of the river Merse. Although the roofless walls are all that remain, construction started in 1220 and the abbey was completed six decades later.

    There was a wedding just finishing in the abbey as we arrived. It would be a magical place for a wedding except for all the tourists walking through the wedding space. The remains of the abbey are striking against the blue sky (I swear it is magic over here) and it was worth the detour.

    A short, hot and steep walk away sits the chapel, Rotonda Di Montesiepi. Built in 1185, it is the tomb of Saint Galgano and the proposed site of his death in 1181. It is also the site of the sword in the stone where legend has it Galgano struck his sword into the stone in anger at how his parents, girlfriend and other knights sneered at his choice to become a Christian, after Archangel Michael appeared twice in his dreams. He succeeded and it was declared a miracle.

    Thankfully there was a cafe not too far from the sites and we got to enjoy a light lunch and some Italian beverages sat under the trees in the Tuscan sunshine. Perfetto!
    Read more