Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Car Troubles

    September 13, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Once we had finished exploring Assisi we hit the road thinking we would visit one of the nearby lakes. That didn’t end up being the fun afternoon we envisioned as the zippy little Ford Fiesta died on us, and we only just survived.

    First the battery warning light illuminates, then we lose air-con on a stinker of a day. We finally manage to find a place to stop (bonus was it was overlooking a lake) and we then called Hertz and were told to drive it to next town, 40km away.

    Onto the highway where the speed is 130km/h. We had the windows down to keep cool and then we lose the radio and clock. Next to go is the ABS and airbags. We were crossing everything that we would make it. And quietly blaming Brad for not obeying the rules in the Basilica of Assisi as we are now paying the price for his disobedience.

    Then with 10km to go, we lose power steering and all instruments, including the speedo. Due to the loud noise of wind and horns and cars flying past we try to put up the windows, but lose all electrics and windows stay down. We somehow roll into the Hertz yard, stressed, hot and anxious. What was so amusing was the options we had – 1. We could wait for a car to be driven from Orvieto to where we were which might be a couple of hours or option 2. We could take a car from their office. As if anyone would want to wait in the car hire office for hours when you have the option to get a replacement car then and there. Of course we took option two and finally made it home. It certainly was an eventful way to end the day.

    P.S. This is not our replacement car
    Read more