Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Pienza Cathedral

    September 16, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Of course we checked out the Pienza Cathedral, Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta Pienza, and while it is a pretty church, the most fascinating part is that it is still standing. You can feel where the rear of the church has “dropped” and the cracks in the wall are not hard to miss. Knowing that Brad has recently offended the gods, I did not spend too much time standing in the rear of the church… just in case. Restoration work has been ongoing to prevent the church from further collapse and this was evident by the supports and documentation on display in the Church of San Giovanni, which is also known as the Crypt, as it sits under the Duomo. There was also a labyrinth under the church, which although it didn’t have much in it, explains why the Duomo above has started collapsing. It was all very interesting.

    I think the most surprising and interesting place we visited today was the Diocesan Museum. Usually museums are overfilled with so many pieces that they become very overwhelming. This one was perfect and had some stunning pieces of ancient art and antiquities dating back to the 13th century. It was just enough and well-spaced out so we could appreciate each piece.
    Read more