Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Baptistery of Parma

    October 3, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Next to blow our minds was the Baptistery of Parma, along side the Cathedral. Commissioned in 1196, it is considered to be one of the most important Medieval monuments in Europe. Built from pink Verona marble in an octagonal shape, it dwarfs the Cathedral in size and stands higher than the central point on the roof of the Cathedral. Inside contains sixteen arches, forming alcoves each containing a painted scene, all 13th and 14th century frescoes and paintings. The most striking part is the painted domed ceiling with 16 rays coming out of the centre of the ceiling, corresponding to the arches.

    Not only does the Baptistery hold stunning paintings and frescoes, it is also the site to interesting sculptures and statues. The styles of which is so different to many we have seen elsewhere. Statues representing the months and what work was performed each month adorn the eastern side of the Baptistery and I love the simplicity of these. Clean lines and curves in white marble, they look so smooth and almost have a comic looking affect to the style of them.

    This is such an impressive structure. One of my highlights.
    Read more