Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Schillerplatz, Mainz

    April 11, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    After exploring the church we made our way to Schillerplatz, one of the most beautiful squares in Mainz. Surrounded by protected buildings and a small oasis of green, it features a statue of Friedrich Schiller (German poet, philosopher, historian, and playwright) that was erected in 1862, and Fasnachtsbrunnen, the Mainz Carnival fountain.

    The Mainz Carnival (Fasching) Fountain was erected in 1967.  Created by Blasius Spreng, the nine metre high bronze fountain has more than 200 figures on it. Fasching is known as the "Fifth Season", and it begins each year on 11 November at 11:11 a.m. at the Fasching Fountain, and finishes on Ash Wednesday with the main festivities happening around Rosenmontag.

    The fountain is fascinating, with so many different figures to look at and admire, and with water shooting out from so many different places, it is a very interesting centrepiece. We decided to sit in the square and enjoy a drink while admiring the fountain, before hitting the road again for Cochem.

    Mainz is a town I wish I knew more about when planning this trip as I would have made sure we had a couple of days to really enjoy it.
    Read more