Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Metz, France

    April 26, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    After a long travel day - three countries, four trains - we arrived in Metz, France. Watching the countryside and building styles change as our trip progressed was quite interesting. We are definitely in France now, with the gorgeous French buildings and architecture.

    Metz is a city in France’s northeastern region, with gardens and leafy promenades along the Moselle and Seille rivers. It has a rich 3,000-year history, having variously been a Celtic oppidum, an important Gallo-Roman city, the Merovingian capital of Austrasia, the birthplace of the Carolingian dynasty, a cradle of the Gregorian chant, and one of the oldest republics in Europe. The city has been steeped in French culture, but has been strongly influenced by German culture due to its location and history.

    Because of its historical, cultural and architectural background, Metz has been submitted on France's UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List. The city features noteworthy buildings which we are looking forward to checking out during our time here.

    While waiting for our checking in time we enjoyed our first French beer and wine while sat in a very French square. I already love this place.
    Read more