Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Gothic Saint-Stephen Cathedral, Metz

    April 26, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Once we meet our lovely host and dropped off our luggage we hit the streets. The sun was shining and we were excited. That excitement increased when we rounded the corner at the end of our street and there before us was the magnificent Gothic Saint-Stephen Cathedral with its largest expanse of stained-glass windows in the world, Before even seeing the famous stained glass windows we were in awe of the exterior, with its soaring bell tower and spire, adorned with so many different gargoyles and statues. It was a feast for the eyes. We couldn’t wait to go inside and see more.

    The cathedral was built on an ancient site from the 5th century and is dedicated to Saint Stephen. It is said to have contained a collection of his relics. Numerous churches have been built throughout the centuries with the current cathedral commenced in the early 14th century and completed in 1520.

    Nicknamed la Lanterne du Bon Dieu ("the Good Lord's lantern"), it displays the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with 6,496 m2. And the stained glass is impressive with a mix of works from Gothic and Renaissance artists and more modern artists. With the light shining through them, they are spectacular.
    Read more