Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Fabrique Des Luminaries, Amsterdam

    April 16, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    We woke to a very wet day and as I’m still not feeling fabulous we decided to enjoy a lazy lie in before heading out for the afternoon. We headed back into Amsterdam to see the Fabrique Des Luminaries show in the old gasworks building. This area of Amsterdam has such a good feel and we can imagine in the warmer months how enjoyable it would be to sit and enjoy a drink or a meal in the afternoon/evening sunshine. I mean the sun doesn’t set here until 9pm and it isn’t even summer yet.

    The Fabrique Des Luminaries is an immersive, sensory, audiovisual experience that revolves around art. It is intended to excite, touch and overwhelm and that is exactly what it does. By digitising the work of some of the greatest artists in history and presenting it in such a vibrant and interesting way, it becomes a form of art in its own merit.

    Our ticket included two shows today with one being a presentation on Antoni Gauldi, one of my favourite architects/artists and the second on Salvador Dahl, an artist who pushed the boundaries.

    Antoni Gaudi’s work is often described as whimsical and provocative and he is considered one of the most famous architects who ever lived. Some of his most famous creations , Parc Güel, Casa Batlló, Casa Milà and Sagrada Família, are famous for their undulating facade and the colors of the glass and ceramics, the large pillars and organic motifs. With George Gershwin’s music playing in the background, the images of Gaudi’s work explode across the walls of the old Gasworks building. It was stunning as we were surrounded by images and sound.

    The second show was Salvador Dali. A fairy tale, a hallucination, a dream: Salvador Dali's work is always an experience. The psychedelic works of art by one of the most grandiose artists of all time come at you from all sides in Fabrique des Lumières, accompanied by the music of Pink Floyd. It was such a surreal experience to just relax and let the images and amazing music envelope us. This is something very different to what we would usually do as tourist and it was a great way to start our afternoon off in Amsterdam.
    Read more