Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Apple Pie & Stroopwaffles, Amsterdam

    April 16, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    After the show we continued exploring the streets of Amsterdam in search of “the best apple pie in Amsterdam”, according to quite a few different websites. Obviously everyone else had done similar research as there was a line up at Winkle 43. Operating since 1983, it does indeed have an extremely delicious apple pie, and as it was the only one we are tasting here, we have to take the critics word that it is the best.

    Next on the “must try” list was a stroopwaffle. The Dutch cake consists of two round stroopwafels that are baked crispy via a waffle iron. The two stroopwafels are connected by means of sweet syrup. Everyone kept saying we must try these and we fell for the tourist trap/social media buzz and chose to try these at Van Wonderen Stroopwafels, where once again there was a line. Operating since 1907, this is such a pretty store and we can see why it is a popular Instagram tag. The line moved very quickly, we made our choices, paid an arm and a leg, and continued to make quite a mess while eating them. We were not overly impressed as they were messy and way too sweet. We have no idea what all the fuss was about other than they looked good.

    We have since been informed that these are not the right stroopwaffles to try as they don’t need all the extra trimming. We have followed that advice and tried some traditional ones and while I’m still not fussed Brad does like the basic unadorned stroopwaffles.

    After a bit more of a wander around the city centre we decided to call it a day as we have had some very full on days and I'm still not feeling the best. Let’s hope it passes quickly as we still have so much to see.
    Read more