Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    It’s a Wrap, Metz

    April 27, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    What I do love about Metz are the beautiful flower beds overflowing flowers in bloom as they give the sidewalks and median strips a sea of colour. Just stunning. Add to that the touch of modern art in the way of sculptures in the gardens and street art on the buildings, this town is a real mix of old and new.

    I’m not sure if it just for Easter but many shop fronts have lovely floral displays above their doors and windows, making walking the shopping precinct an even prettier experience. Even the bakery across from our apartment has a chandelier, for goodness sake. How elegant can a patisserie be - definitely not just a bakery.

    We certainly earned our lunch and were happy to rest our feet for a bit so we stopped for a late lunch at Bistrot de La Cathédrale - we just love the Cathedral view. I had quiche lorraine, a dish that originated near here that dates back to the 16th century and Brad had a massive dish of mussels in white wine. A few drinks and we were ready to head home for the day.

    Metz has been a real surprise. Stunning buildings steeped in history, a magnificent cathedral and beautiful food and pastries. And best of all, the weather is improving. Today felt like our holiday has really begun. This has been our last day in Metz, tomorrow we head to Dijon.

    (I had to include a photo of our host, Phillipe, and his gorgeous puppy, Rambo. Adorable!)
    Read more