Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Place de la Libération, Dijon

    April 28, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌧 21 °C

    Our home for the next three nights is the city of Dijon, the capital city of the historical Burgundy region in eastern France, and one of France’s principal wine making areas. It is also known for its traditional mustard but fun fact - France imports most of their mustard seeds from Canada and still eat more mustard per capita than any other nationality.

    After checking into our lovely apartment (and climbing four flights of stairs with suitcases - thanks Brad) we ventured out to check out our new town. Dijon has a different feel again to our last stop in Metz. Dijon’s laneways are paved with shiny marble pavers and the buildings feel a bit more “formal” here. Dijon feels like it is Metz posh cousin.

    We walked about five minutes from our apartment into a massive shiny white square, surrounded with cafes and the very impressive Palace of the Dukes. Called Place de la Liberation (Liberation Square), the square was created in 1689 and is considered the most beautiful in Dijon and we’d have to agree with that. Decorated with two rows of fountains that amuse many young ones, it’s rows of bars and restaurants were very enticing. So enticing we decided to succumb and enjoy lunch in one of the many restaurants while admiring the fountains, statues and the centuries-old buildings, including the stunning Palace of the Dukes.

    For lunch we tried a specialty of the region, beef bourguignon, or beef burgundy. The beef in red wine sauce and vegetables just melted in our mouths. It was so delicious and just what we needed after a big travel day. With the storm clouds rolling in over the Palace it was quite an impressive view.

    If course we had to walk through the square every time we went out so we took way too many photos of when the sky was blue or cloudy or black. It is just one of those places that you want to capture and remember.
    Read more