Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Les Halles Market, Dijon

    April 29, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Once we had finished our obligatory church check-out (I do wonder if we will tire of churches) we came across the markets and the historic food hall, Halles de Dijon.

    Dion's covered market is an official “monument historique" and was constructed of cast iron and glass in the 1870s. The city markets in France are always something to see, but few are as large or beautiful as this one. It is so interesting seeing the mix of stalls and produce being sold next to each other. And even more surprising was the bar right in the midst of it all, and it was packed. There were hundreds of stalls overflowing with flowers, seasonal fruit and veg, cheese, fish and spices, and we noticed that no part of an animal goes to waste. We had grand plans of food shopping at the markets but to be honest it was a bit overwhelming how much there was to choose from and what to actually buy.

    We then made our way back to Liberty Square for lunch. It is too pretty a place not to enjoy more than once. Brad decided to go all French and had escargot in garlic butter for entrée and I even tried one - again. Brad said they were very tasty but hard to hold with the utensils provided but I thought they were a bit too chewy this time. Brad then had vegetarian curry, made from mustard seeds grown in this region and I had a burger on a brioche bun that melted in my mouth. All great choices.

    We walked off lunch while admiring more of the beautiful architecture and old buildings. We checked out a mustard shop - yes there is a shop that sells just mustard and who knew there were so many different types. We came across a trio playing an unusual combination of instruments as they busked on the streets. They were pretty good too and added to the street vibe.

    We then found a bakery selling a beautiful pink praline brioche, something we haven’t seen before. They are called praluline and are now Brad’s favourite bakery item, possibly of all time. They have been made here by a baker named Auguste Pralus using his original recipe since 1955, and Brad is already researching where to find more in France before we go. Unfortunately the shop is closed until the day after we leave.

    After a big day exploring we decided to call it a day and returned home to our fourth floor attic apartment. It is a lovely apartment but the stairs are a killer, hence the decision to stay in tonight. We do have a lovely view of the rooftops from our bed though.
    Read more