Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Gordes, France

    May 7, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    We then drove onto Gordes, a hilltop town settled by the Romans, to have a walk through the cobbled streets. Gordes is perched on a rock at 340 metres high on the south side of the Vaucluse plateau. Our wonderful guide stopped to give us a moment to view the town from a distance so we could take in how it cascades around the mountain top, and to take a photo or two.

    We then had time to wander the streets and explore the town. With its history dating back to the Roman empire, there was plenty to admire. We even managed to get kicked out of a pub because we only wanted a drink, not food. Go figure!

    After the Second World War artists Marc Chagall, Jean Deyrolle and Andre Lhote set up an artist colony and many prestigious artists have spent time here. From 1970 to 1996 the Chateau de Gordes showcased the work of Victor Vasarely, a Hungarian-French artist who is considers the “grandfather” and leader of the zoo art movement. His work titled Zebra, created in 1937, is considered by some to be one of the earlier stages examples of Optional Illusion Art, Op Art. This image and others created by Victor adorn many of the building in town, and are quite striking against the old stone buildings. Gordes is still a haven for artists and there are a lot of galleries displaying many different types of art. I could easily spend more time here.

    The other thing I have loved is seeing the wild poppies growing everywhere and anywhere. One of my favourite flowers.
    Read more