Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Roussillon, France

    May 7, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    From Gordes we travelled to Roussilion, an area that had formed part of the Roman Empire in 121 BC. This has to be one of the most beautiful villages we have ever seen. The early inhabitants used to quarry ochre from the mountains, and the orange and red colours of the town contrasting with the stunning blue sky was amazing.

    The large quarries of Roussillon were mined from the end of the 18th century until 1930. It was during the 18th century that increasing demand for pigments in the textile industry that led to the increase of mining in the region. Nowadays mining ochre is prohibited in order to protect the sites from degradation or even complete destruction. It is stunning to see the ochre cliffs against the green of the foliage around it. So eye-catching and breath-taking.

    We found a great little restaurant in which to enjoy a lunch of buckwheat crepes, a specialty of the region and our first French crepes. They were delicious.

    This is one town I would love to spend more time in, just to be able to photograph the stunning landscape and buildings at different times of the day to see the contrasts with the light. A photographers dream.
    Read more