Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Parco Archeologico di Selinunte

    June 5, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    This morning we bid farewell to beautiful Selinunte to make our way to Nubia, Trapini. On the way we stopped off at the Archaeological Park of Selinunte, the site of the largest archaeological park in Europe. Even though we had seen the Valley of the Temples we wanted to explore this site too.

    With almost 2.5 acres, this site has the remains of the grandiose city that was Selinunte, developed and designed by the Greeks since the founding of the colony. Founded in 628 BC and abandoned around 250 BC, it is absolutely mind blowing that we can still stand amongst these temples. With the thunder and lightning overhead it was a very surreal experience.

    Thankfully we were able to take shelter from the rain and visit the on-site museum. So much of what they have discovered on the site is displayed and once again, it is unfathomable that items from centuries ago still exist. To this day more and more is being discovered.

    We chose to take the cart ride from one temple to the next so we could see as much as possible before the rain returned. While we did not get to see the whole expansive site, we were so impressed with what we did manage to see. Definitely worth the visit.
    Read more