Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Restaurant La Barraca, Madrid

    May 17, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    We were determined while we were in Madrid to try their traditional paella and after a bit of Google searching to find a highly recommended restaurant in which to partake, we settled on La Barraca. It opened in 1935 when the Solis family decided to bring a prominent piece of their beloved Valencia region to Madrid, their paella. Paella is a part of their culture, tradition and history and is a ritual that is passed down through the generations. And we were not disappointed.

    After Brad had had a “bad” paella in Avignon, (who orders a paella in a tourist section in a French town), he was a bit hesitant to try again but thankfully he did. We chose the mixed paella so there was seafood for Brad and meat for me and it was delicious and very generous. We even got to bring home a doggy bag so we could enjoy the left overs for dinner.

    With full bellies and a few drinks we decided to return to our “groovie ” apartment for a siesta and to start packing for our early morning start tomorrow.

    Madrid has been a pleasant surprise and we have enjoyed our time here exploring the many sites and different areas. I will miss the lovely view from our bedroom window.
    Read more