Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    This wind has been far out at sea...

    May 12, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    'scuse me, Ted Hughes!
    I slept like a log last night 😴😴😴. It was great to just stay in and chill and climb into bed (quite literally, I was on the top bunk😅) at about 9.00pm! With no kindle (coke incident🙄) it meant I could just close my eyes and relax, and I did!
    We left the 'guest house' at 7.30am after a small first breakfast of left over bread, cheese and watermelon; to walk so early was fabulous. We walked along the coast for a few kms before turning inland, which was brilliant as the wind miraculously disappeared 😆. Walking on the coastal boardwalks has been lovely if windy, but inland it's all cobbles that aren't so comfy or easy on your feet. After 7km we reached Apuila to find our second breakfast but we were on the wrong side of town (all the cafés were at the coast, we weren't), so another 3.5km to Fao it was! A gorgeous gluten and lactose free quiche set us up and OurJan definitely had a spring in her step after that🤭.
    Another stop at Marinhas called for a very welcome beer and some salty crisps and then it was just a few kms to Antas, where we're staying.
    Somewhere along the way (in Esposende, actually) I realised I'd developed a small blister on a little toe so stopped to dress it. No worries!
    It was good to see, along the way, that the Portuguese have questionable garden furniture taste as well 😜.
    When we reached Antas OurJan asked me to look at her blisters 😨. One of her little toes is very poorly 😕 so perhaps the new walking shoes aren't so perfect 😉. Next pair, OurJan!
    This 'guest house' is fantastic. It has all mod cons, a fridge full of beer and a pizza delivery driver who speaks English - result!
    It's bed again at 9.00pm, hurrah, and a 25km walk to Carreço tomorrow (although OurJan might well be taking a taxi!)
    Read more