Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    It's just...

    May 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    OurJan has sent the phrase 'it's just' to the recycling bin! Every question she's asked like, 'how far now?' has been answered with 'it's just... around the corner', 'it's just... a short boat ride', even when the 'just' has been another 10kms! It's 'just about" driven her around the bend. 🤭😉😅
    We slept in this morning 😱 because we'd lost the hour yesterday, so it was a pretty late start for us after breakfast at the camp site. After just half a km we came across a guy carving stone - it was a real pity he didn't make small, portable things because I'm sure we'd have all bought something from him. OurJan found a small card stall so now has Steve selling up and moving to a camino route in Spain 😆.
    A short walk along a main road took us to the 'blue' route which followed Brierley's route, too. It led us uphill for quite some way but it was such a fabulous environment - views out to sea, pine forests, small hamlets and just the most beautiful scenery.
    Walking with Steve, I commented that 'just around this corner... we need a cafe stop...' - well, someone was listening because there it was! A refreshing drink and a small cake gave us the strength to continue, not always upwards, sometimes downwards, but onwards towards Biaona for lunch. The café we chose had a group of older men sitting outside with their midday beers, arguing very loudly, but with good humour. It was a great place because we had our first Spanish Tortilla there😋😋😋. We'd all missed it so much and, whilst it wasn't the best we'd ever tasted, it was very good!
    We continued on from Biaona to our evening's accommodation in Nigran and on the way saw the whale made from detritus from the sea, which reminded us of the impact of pollution. Nigran is a beautiful seaside town, not fully opened for the holiday season yet, but vibrant and fun. We didn't walk too far looking for our supper and didn't really have supper (unless you can count a tapa with your beer🙄😅) but it was enough.
    We have plans to eat a very large breakfast before continuing on to Vigo, where we're having a day off to rest our feet. We're looking forward to giving our clothes a good wash rather than a rinse through, and sleeping in (we'll see see if that happens🤣).
    Read more