Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Haugesund, Norway

    June 21, 2023 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    We moved up the west coast overnight and now we are alongside at Haugesund.

    This is where the Viking King Ferking came from and his claim to fame is founding Norway after a bloody sea battle in the 700’s.

    The scenery has now changed to fjords. Our cruise terminal is an island in itself purpose built for the cruise ship and oil rig construction industries. Next to us is a platform under construction that is a wind farm. Norway is one of the leading countries to eliminate fossil fuel cars. They will be all electric by 2025.

    Our excursion took us to a fisherman memorial for those lost at sea. The landscape now is all islands with ferries going back and forwards with people, cars and cargo.

    These parts were established in the early 1800’s because there was an abundance of herrings in the waterways. Villages formed to house the fishermen and the villages dried the fish, pickled them in salt and then in wooden barrels. These were then traded in the Baltics.

    Even after that industry died off Norway remains a dominant world supplier of salmon.

    Our bus took us to Skudeneshavn for a few hours. It was a charming village with heaps of old-time character. The museum was exceptional. They had displays of what the town look like 200 years ago. There were so many beautiful pictures to take here.

    The weather has been drizzly today, but the locals seem happy as rain has been rare of late.

    Sunrise is 4:20am at the moment. Sunset is 11pm. We have been told we are not going to see the northern lights at this time of the year.

    Back to the ship and we sail again up the coast further.
    Read more