Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Geiranger, Norway

    June 22, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Overnight we kept heading north on the North Sea before taking a right hand turn moving slowing into the fjord system on the west coast.

    It looks a bit like the sounds on the South Island of NZ. Just picturesque views all around. At 9:15am we passed the 7 Sisters waterfall. How they do this I do not understand but the Apex did a 360-degree rotation. No such thing as a bad view.

    On to Geiranger which is right at the end of the fjord arm we are on. As we approached the township, they have a floating dock that unravels and extends to the ship, so we don’t have to use tenders here. Remarkable technology but also clever navigation by the captain. The bridge is beside our veranda hand you can see he does it all on a just few joysticks.

    Geiranger is a village at the head of Geirangerfjord. We went up the waterfall stairs to the Norwegian Fjord Center which presented multimedia on the history of the region and its inhabitants. Part of the steep Trollstigen mountain road weaves through the village, connecting to Flydalsjuvet lookout, which has views over the fjord.

    The pictures don’t do justice to the power and speed of the water as it rushes down into the fjord. This location was granted World Heritage status in 2005.

    Avalanches are also a big issue here and locals have been warned of a breach that could happen from a reservoir nearby. They have discovered a cracked ravine that will eventually breach and cave in. When it happens there will be a 25 metre tsunami that will devastate the village we went to today. The locals even leave their car keys in their car when shopping in case there is a need to escape quickly.

    What a terrific day. So beautiful here.
    Read more