Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Dunkerque to Hon Fleur via Somme

    July 2, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Big driving day today. We will do at least 5 hours maybe more.

    We got out early to avoid traffic and we had the roads to ourselves. Freeways can be as fast as 130 Kmh but most of the time it is 80.

    The Western Front had a significant battle where the Anzacs and the French fought for weeks with horrible casualties in WW1

    We will go to where it happened and visit the Australian National Memorial, Villers-Bretonneux which is the main memorial to Australian military personnel. It is located on the Route Villiers-Bretonneux, between the towns of Fouilloy and Villers-Bretonneux, in the Somme district.

    The cemetery itself is beautifully kept and up the end is a tower with an honor board. We climbed to the top for a great view.

    Then you go underground and experience hi tech video re-enactments. Really impressive. Very glad we did the visit.

    Now we head south and being a Sunday, we are struggling to find anything open. We drove through dozens of classic French villages but no luck.

    Finally, there was a roadhouse off the freeway, so we got sustenance and fuel. On the bowser you swipe a card and confirm your pump and fuel type. It releases the fuel and then charges the cost. Sounds easy but try doing it in French!

    By late afternoon we found Hon Fleur and it looks incredible. We are here for 5 nights.
    Read more