Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Cherbourg, France to the UK

    July 7, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Time to say farewell to France and get on a ferry in Cherbourg which is about 2 hours drive north.

    We had to fuel up the hire car before returning it to an office opposite the train station. We struggled to get close to their office because of roadworks.

    After nearly 10 days of clean incident free driving wouldn’t you know it, someone rubbed the rear bumper last night, so we failed the inspection and got hit with a bill. Damn. Some miserable driver in the carpark last night must have done it. Avis must make a fortune out these things. You could hardly see the scratch.

    The ferry across the English Channel will take 4.5 hours. We have reserved seating, and it is an absolutely beautiful warm day. Plenty of eating options aboard including duty free. Restocked the Bacardi.

    We really did cover some ground since Dunkerque. France has been great with lots of highlights.

    The Brittany Ferry is more like a cruise ship than a ferry. This is the first time we’ve seen a ferry that runs on LPG. You can have a cabin for extra, but we chose reserved seating.

    Time change for UK has happened and we are approaching Portsmouth. We will walk off after the cars exit. There is quite a big naval base here. This was where the command operated from to orchestrate D Day.

    Our coach to London leaves from another terminus called The Hard Interchange. From here we will go for 2 hours to get London almost entirely on the expressway.

    This is a big travel day. It’s great to be in London again.

    Our Uber did his best with the traffic as we passed Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the London Eye. Every bar and restaurant are brim full.

    We will sleep well tonight.
    Read more