Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Bethany Green, London

    July 8, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    Our Airbnb is terrific. It’s on the 3rd floor of a block of flats and has a lovely Juliet balcony overlooking a park.

    The underground is just a quick 10-minute walk so we are all set to have our first day in London.

    Local Middle Eastern brekkie was awesome. This area is really multicultural and is expected to be rainy and humid. Sharon decided she wants her nails done so I will observe and listen to the Dees game back home.

    The London Underground is so easy to use, and you no longer need an Oyster card, just tap on and off with a debit card now.

    We popped up at Oxford Circus and started with a walk down Carnaby Street. Window shopped right through to Piccadilly Circus, and it was time to meet Steve for lunch. We were a bit early, so we had a pint in a pub, as you do.

    Steve is one of our buddies' cousins. We stayed with him and his partner Ricky last year. He was so excited to see us as we were him. He took us to one of his favourite pubs. The Clachan is a public house and is a Grade II listed building, built in 1898.
    I ate Bangers & Mash washed down with a pint of London Pride.

    After lunch Steve wanted to take us next door to Liberty which is the oldest department store known best for its fabrics and haberdashery.

    Said goodbye to Steve. He had to drive back to Headley Down, so we decided to walk to Buckingham Palace. Even though we have been here quite a few times it still captures your imagination.

    It is very wet and very busy today our favourite moment was a peddle powered bar that seats 14 people and a bar person. The one we watched was a hen's party. So funny watching 10 drunken ladies trying to peddle to move through the intersection.

    Next stroll was through St James Park along the Princess Diana Memorial Walk. All of London’s beauty was on display and we even had a squirrel check us out.

    Our show tonight is Groundhog Day which is a musical adaption from the original movie, but the lyrics and music was written by Tim Minchin. We were early so we enjoyed a mojito at a Cuban bar opposite the Old Vic Theatre.

    The show was outstanding. Lively choreography, singing, stunning set changes and even some illusions. Minchin put his unique way with words into the score and we thought it was one of the best shows we have seen. The cast received a standing ovation.

    What a great day. Our feet are sore.
    Read more