Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Camden Town

    July 9, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Last full day in London so we took the tube to Paddington where Sharon wanted to find a unique clock.

    The clock is high up on a wall over the footpath and has an image of a man in it busy cleaning and wiping inside the clock. When he wipes the hands disappear and so then he realizes what he has done so he draws them on the face again on the actual time. Very clever and entertaining.

    After this we walk for a few kilometers to Camden Market. We went there with Melissa about 11 years ago.

    It is a hugely popular market with many many pop-up food stalls. Our selection was Vietnamese chicken baguettes which were yummy.

    Amy Winehouse is celebrated here. She must have come from this area. The crowds are massive, and you feel choked after a while.

    At 4:30pm we boarded our canal boat the Jenny Wren. It departs from an active lock that is over 100 years old.

    It took us up the canals past the zoo, Lords cricket ground and to a part of the canals called Little Venice. You get to see some huge mansions with vast gardens. One recently sold for $A160,000,000!

    What is a bit disturbing are the homeless people living in tents along the canal. If fact everywhere we have travelled in London, you see rough sleepers. On the tube it is not unusual to be approached for food or money.

    Back to Camden Market and we have had enough of the crowds, so we headed back to Bethnal Green.

    We enjoyed the summer sunset from our balcony and started packing up. Time to move on tomorrow.
    Read more