Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Mykonos beaches

    July 26, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    The hotel is lovely. The courtyard view from our room is impressive.

    We are on a combined tour today of Mykonos island and we have been told to pack our bathers. We have also been told the cost of a day bed on their beaches costs 80 euros. Gulp. No wonder the majority of Mykonians are millionaires.

    The population of Mykonos is only 10,000 with 20,000 support workers for the peak of tourism. There are 100,000 rooms available and each day cruise ships drop up to 8,000 guests at the wharf.

    There is no vegetation here, maybe a few grapes. The rocky landscape means locals build rock walls to define their boundaries and to keep a few animals.

    First beach is Super Paradise Beach. This is a very secluded beach for the rich and famous. Day bed at the front is a mere 170 euros for the day.

    Next stop, a brief visit to a local monastery established in 1767. It was built well away from the town but now it is surrounded by the expanding property boom.

    Beach number two is Aphrodite’s Beach named after two hills that is said to once belong to the goddess Aphrodite. We all know what they are supposed to represent but you need an imagination.

    Last beach is Ano Mera beach where we stopped for lunch. Some of the group stayed but we preferred the calm of our hotel pool. Shad went off for a manicure with Erin.

    By evening we were to puffed out to go anywhere. Pool time now.
    Read more