Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Last day in Mykonos

    July 27, 2023 in Greece ⋅ 🌬 29 °C

    The wind has picked up from the north which the locals want because that is how Mykonos feels cooler.

    All the buildings and houses are designed to be protected from the northerly winds. Even the beaches facing north don’t have restaurants or sun beds.

    I needed a haircut very badly, so we wandered down into the main shops area and it was packed with cruise ship people even though the shops don’t open until 11am.

    Between 9 and 11am only small delivery vehicles are allowed in the narrow alleyways. It is a recipe for disaster when there are so many day visitors from cruise ships. The businesses only have this limited window of opportunity to get their supplies. The drivers are so patient in these tiny vehicles.

    My haircut went well but was quite expensive compared to when Sharon cuts it!

    We asked Erin to recommend a lunch spot away from the crowds, on the water with seafood.

    We jumped on a local bus went about 20 minutes down the road and she then took us across the front of a very busy beach and then down a street by the water.

    Apagio restaurant is located in an ideal location on Fiscardo's picturesque harbor in Kefalonia. The view is spectacular, we all enjoyed a most delicious meal. There was just the five of us and it is always fun to compare countries in the conversation.

    I ordered grilled octopus and Sharon had fried calamari. It was delicious.

    Back on the bus after a long lunch we had room time to pack up our bags.

    In the evening it was so pleasant we decide to join the group down at the waterfront. The town is so lit up you would think it was daytime. The crowds were building for the nightlife which Mykonos is famous for, but we were just happy to have a light meal and people watch.

    The fire threat has eased in Crete. Erin’s husband is a fire fighter, and he is sending her the ratings for any threat before they even get to the media. There are no fires on Crete so we will proceed with our plans to spend our last week away over there.
    Read more