Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Tokyo you are amazing

    April 3 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Our first impression of Japan were really long queues at the airport with only a few customs staff working. Our patient driver was waiting for us. We think he is used to customs taking so long. Finally after 3.5 hours we were at our hotel.

    Our hotel was supposed to be where the tour started in the original itinerary but that changed so now we have to head to another starting point. The good news is that it looks really flash.

    Once we worked out how to navigate the train system there was no holding back. We found a cheap and cheerful breakie place and then made our way to the local station.

    It took us longer than it should to move hotels as we made a few platform errors but in the end we transitioned from the surface rail to the subway in downtown Tokyo and then down to the port area.

    This place is unreal. The size of Tokyo station defies belief. It is so big and spread out you can’t help but get lost. Shouldn’t be a surprised considering 38 million live here!

    We are all delighted with our tour “starting” hotel. Definitely 5 star and rooms are lovely. Our rooms were ready early so that gave us time to head back into Tokyo with newfound confidence.

    Under Tokyo station there are lots of local eateries so we tried our luck and it was awesome. The food is cheap and the portions ample and good eating. This was our first experience of cash only!

    The rain has now arrived so we parked our butts in an Irish pub because all the other local bars are closed until late afternoon.

    The girls left us after a few rounds and headed off in search of a shopping epiphany while us menfolk stayed to solve the world’s problems.

    The trip home included buying more food to eat back in our room. The locals seem to cook at home. Our sushi & shrimp salad were fantastic, but I have to confess my best purchase was a bottle JB for just $A15.

    Our trip home on the train was fun. Tokyo station is a zoo of people finishing their day and heading home. The train travel rules are no speaking, phones on silent but sleeping is acceptable. We cannot work out how they know which stop to get off.

    In the morning we will meet all the others who are on this tour. Our visit so far has been superb.
    Read more