Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Let the tour begin

    April 4 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    We joined our group of 36 and as expected there are mainly Aussies and Kiwis. This will be our group for the next 12 days.

    First stop was a visit to the Tsukiji Fish Market which is an enormous spectacle of all types of local and imported seafood. It’s a dream for foodies but we had just had breakie so didn’t indulge. The crowds were overwhelming.

    It is now spring so the local and international tourists alike flock to Japan to see the renowned cherry trees bloom and join in the sakura (cherry blossom) festivities. The blossom lasts 10 - 14 days and has just come out. People here are just as excited as we are.

    Our next stop was a beautiful public park that has served many purposes over the centuries. It was originally built as a feudal lord’s Tokyo residence and duck hunting grounds during the Edo period, but later served as a strolling garden and an imperial detached palace, before eventually being opened to the public. The 300 year giant bonsai pine tree was impressive.

    Last stop for the day was Chiyoda ward where the cherry blossoms line the waterway beside the Emperor’s Imperial Palace. The blossom is so beautiful and at night this lights up for an hour but we mistimed coming back for that.
    Rookie error.

    We told Ken we would leave the bus group and make our own way home. Nearby we found the Yasukuni Shrine. Locals pay their respects and of course there was more Sakura. So much to see here.

    Tokyo is so nice. We have much to learn from their culture. No litter, clean cars, no smoking in public, calm and polite crowds. You feel safe here.

    Our late afternoon was spent trying to find a bar but we eventually gave up. They are not a thing here in the areas we were walking. We had a big day and were all exhausted.
    Read more