Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Tokyo to Kawaguchiko

    April 6 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We are heading to Kawaguchiko today, about a two hour drive on the expressway. The terrain is mountainous with random cherry blossoms sitting in amongst the pine forests.

    It is nice to get away from the congestion of Tokyo for a while.

    Arrived at Lake Kawaguchiko, known for recreational boating, fishing and water sports. More importantly this is where we got our first view of the iconic Mount Fuji. The picnickers were out in force again! More cherry blossoms of course.

    The bus then drove us up Mount Fuji as far as the 3rd station carpark which is where the roadblock is before the snow and avalanches stop the traffic. We got some great pics of the peak. Some wild deer were startled by our bus.

    Our overnight resort hotel is quite new and very traditional. They have a public bath and there is a long list on the do’s and don’ts on bathing etiquette. Our room has two futon beds which will be a challenge to sleep on comfortably tonight. Upside is the view to Mount Fuji. Early morning is the best time for a view.

    We were told that there is a local bar restaurant called New York so we gave that a try. Didn’t feel like a great choice so we stayed for one round and headed back to a family restaurant outside our hotel.

    Food here is really reasonably priced but ordering is a nightmare. Our waitress was the owner's daughter. She looked about 10 years old. The orders got mucked up and the drinks were slow to arrive. It cost about A$110 to feed six of us. We all had a full belly and headed off to bed.

    Up early tomorrow as we leave at 8am.
    Read more