Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Mt Fuji to Takayama

    April 7 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Woke up to the most breathtaking views of Mt Fuji. We slept rough but it was worth it. Our rooms had traditional Japanese dressing gowns which they encouraged us to wear to breakfast. Um nah.

    Today is a drive to Matsumoto Castle, also known as ‘Crow Castle’ due to its dramatic black exterior. It proved to be more of a physical challenge than expected. You must remove your shoes and carry them in a plastic bag at the same time as climbing 8 flights of wooden stairs. The steps were very steep so you hang on to the bamboo rails and off you go. The 5th story was worth it for the vistas of the surrounding town. The donjon (keep) is Japan’s oldest remaining wooden keep, completed around 1593 – is listed as a National Treasure.

    The pictures show the surreal snow capped mountains. Truly Japan at its best.

    The next few hours caught us by surprise. We drove straight up and over the alps. The snow from winter is still plentiful so we just sat back and had a most beautiful drive. In a few weeks it will all have melted away.

    Our Takayama hotel is in a city that
    still retains a traditional feel, especially in its beautifully preserved old town (Sanmachi Suji).

    We visited the Takayama Jin’ya, the former government headquarters under the Tokugawa Shogunate from 1692-1871. Shoes off again.

    Loving the old latticed wooden buildings and Sannomachi Street, with pretty homes, restaurants and sake breweries.

    Dinner in town tonight.
    Read more