Satellite
  • Day 7

    Montreal to Washington DC

    November 20, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    Much of today was spent waiting around for flights, taxis etc. Our flight was delayed by an hour, and then we had to wait while they de-iced the wings (not that I am complaining - safety first always). We left chilly Montreal and the snow, and landed in sunny and mild Washington DC. The drive downtown tour hotel was during “rush hour”, so it took a while. We were impressed by how clean and well set out the roads were - especially having just come from Montréal, where there is major roadworks happening everywhere.

    After checking into the Sofitel, we decided to take a bit of a walk to check out the surrounding area, and also build up our steps for the day. We saw the White House (smaller grounds than I imagined), walked past Department of Treasury, The Ellipse, Washington Monument, and the Federal Triangle, and then looked for somewhere to eat. The first couple of restaurants we tried were packed, with 40 minutes waiting time - I was surprised they were so busy for a Monday night. We finally found a place near our hotel - Woodward Table - which was very good. Tomorrow we plan to visit a number of museums at the Smithsonian, and then visit a number of memorials. We are really excited to finally make it to Washington DC.
    Read more