Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Notre-Dame and City Island

    May 30, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, Notre-Dame is one of the finest French Gothic architectures with its stunning rib vault, flying buttress, rose windows, sculptural decorations, three pile organs, and immense church bells.

    The story of Notre-Dame's bellringer Quasimodo and beautiful Esmeralda from Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre-Dame inspired my interest in Notre-Dame since I was young. Many historic events took place here, including the coronation of Napoleon I in 1804 and the celebration of the Liberation of Paris during WWII.

    The heartbreaking 2019 fire started in the attic of Notre-Dame had destroyed the fleche and roof. It’s hard to believe today in the 21st century, the Cathedral staff made a mistake not to call the fire department in time when smoke detector signaled the fire. And according to the latest news Notre-Dame will not re-open in time for the Olympic Paris 2024.

    The City Island (Île de la Cité) is full of historic spots. Sainte-Chapelle, Palace of Justice, and Clock Tower are all here. The Conciergerie, once the fortress and royal palace, had imprisoned, tried, and sentenced 2,780 prisoners, including Marie Antoinette, during the French Revolution.
    Read more