Satellite
  • Day 8

    Day 3 of Camino De Santiago

    September 5, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    So day 3 was even more bleh than day 2. It started off rainy and muggy again. Today, I saw less pilgrims. Maybe 10 at the church in the morning to get our stamps then everyone dissipated. I walked with the gay couple from the hostel for about an hour and then stopped to get a bite to eat for breakfast so they went on their way. From there I had the choice to stay on the marked path or go towards the ocean on the "riskier" unmarked path. Since this was on the ocean, I decided to choose this way. Not to late after I was starting to regret my decision! Not only was the path on the ocean unmarked, but it was sand dunes after sand dunes of climbing. Not to mention there were bulls everywhere on this beach. I've never seen bulls on a beach. I was praying they would stay put. They did. My feet were hurting so bad at that point that I decided to take my shoes off and walk bare feet in the ocean. Was it ever freezing!! (Please remind me to go somewhere in the Mediterranean after this walk 😑) But it was better than taking the suffering from the blisters. To give you an idea, of the pain I decide to cut up pads to tape to my socks inside my shoes.. 😑😐.

    The more you walk the camino the more you will try anything to heal the pain you are creating!!!

    Anyway. 30 km later I had arrived at the ferry to cross over to Viana Do Castelo. This wonderful town. My GPS gave another 55 minute walk to my albergues. You've got to be kidding me! How did I not notice this when I booked it! Ugh. If I thought that was bad! I get to a the flight of stairs to go up to Santa Luzia. Well. That's the way to my room for the night! There must of been something like 500 steps. If someone can find out how many there were please do tell me! It felt like 1000 at this point. About half way through I notice a funicular going up from the city to the top. You have to be f*cking kidding me!!! 😡😡😡 #%×*$#!!!! Thanks GPS for telling me I had another option!

    Many breaks later and some cursing - I get to the top. Why would someone do this walk and put themselves through this much suffering! The albergue was nice but strange. Almost too quiet. On top of that the doors didn't have a lock. I guess I'll be sleeping with one eye open. I used the funicular to go get some food in the city and called it a night at 8pm. Let's hope tomorrow is better.
    Read more