Satellite
  • Day 136

    Snorkeling & surf on rest day No. 2

    February 21, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We had a fantastic day off! After an early rise from bed we started a snorkeling trip with 10 other people from the yoga school at 07:30. It was a great experience! We first visited a garden of underwater Buddhist statues and Bertram managed to dive down for 4 meters and swim around the biggest Buddha statue in the center of the arrangement :-)

    We then went further around the Nusa Lembongan island and landed on Crystal Beach which had beautiful colored corral and thousands of fish. I highly enjoyed swimming into the large schools of tiny and medium-sized fish while Bertram chased the biggies down to the sea bed :-)

    The final two stops where dedicated to seeing the graceful, big manta rays - it was stunning! Nevertheless, it felt a bit intimidating when the manta turned around and came directly at you. They measure 2 meters across their “wings” and move pretty quickly with just one flap :-)

    The only really sad thing about the snorkeling trip was the rubbish - in the manta ray bay there were so many plastic pieces in the ocean it made you want to cry: tooth paste tubes, bottles, bags, yoghurt cups, ...

    We then went out for a 2.5 hour surf session in the afternoon which was good fun even though the waves were pretty soft which gave us a hard time to catch them :-)

    The evening ended with us running away from another of the well known tropical thunderstorms which drench you instantaneously :-) we made it to the pizza place only after seeking shelter under a hut...
    Read more