Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Agra

    January 26, 2018 in India ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Up early to beat the crowds and road closures for Republic Day which we did, leaving at 07.30, bar one junction controlled by about twenty cops all in different uniforms. According to our driver, Subhash, there was much to see, if it wasn’t so foggy. There were several toll booth areas on the motorway, also people waiting to be picked up and many trucks resting by the roadside. Most car drivers drove with their hazard warning lights on, trucks though did not seem to possess rear lights, which was somewhat disconcerting and a good reason to, more or less, occupy the middle lane. After the first toll stop, we called in the services for bathroom break, which Janet found interesting, though we resisted anything further.
    We arrived at our hotel in Agra around noon, our superior room having views of the Taj Mahal through the mist. Wehad a spot of Italian lunch in the themed cafe, then headed out with our guide to Agra Fort.
    The Fort, built as a Palace by the same person as the Taj Mahal consists of a huge red sandstone edifice surrounded by two moats, one dry, originally occupied by lions and tigers, the second by crocodiles. It was busy with mainly Indian visitors. Inside were layers of grandier with ever more ornate carved stone and decorated marble. Our guide explained that the builder was imprisoned by his son for the last eight years of his life, with just the view of the Taj to console him.
    On the way back to our hotel we stopped to see inlaid marble being made to exquisite high standards.
    Late afternoon brought some sketching with the Taj Mahal in late afternoon misty sunshine.
    Our room also had excellent views of the bathroom,having a glass wall. Having had her shower Janet discovered a blind which, when she operated, first jammed then fell off completely. Fortunately a repair man, yours truly, was on hand to fix it.
    Our evening meal was excellent with a wide range of tasty dishes.
    Read more