Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Taj Mahal and onwards

    January 27, 2018 in India ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    We awoke early on the 40th anniversary of our meeting, though our guide had suggested an 08.30 start rather than dawn; a wise decision given the thick fog which prevented us seeing the street. We parked and decided to walk the 800m to the complex. Here we entered through the eastern gate, still no sign of TM then through the main entrance, built in red sandstone inlaid with white marble.
    The classic view, with water gardens had just a while backdrop. As we approached the Taj Mahal rose from the mist. Donning protective footwear covers, we joined the queue to view, in semi darkness the tomb of the wife Mumtaz Mahal of Shah Jehan and his own, organised by his daughter. Both exquisitely inlaid with precious stones, as is the whole building and on a colossal scale. Truly awe inspiring. Shame it was so foggy.
    Reluctantly we left Agra and headed off to Fatehpur Sikri, a Palace built by a Mogul king where he lived with his selection of wives. Only time for a whistle stop visit as we had a train to catch from Bharatpur a few km away. We walked miles to get to the correct platform, then discovered the train was delayed one hour. The sleeper from Mumbai to Amritsar pulled in opposite, mostly sleepers as it takes 36 hours, with crowds heading across tracks to the two standard coaches at the rear. As it departed we learned of a further half hour delay at which point our driver reappeared, we spoke with the tour company and decided to take the drive instead. Cliff and Maureen who we met on the platform stuck with the train, we met on safari the following day and compared notes. The first part was fine. Then when it got dark, we discovered that many vehicles including big trucks do not run rear lights! Then when we turned to head south the road surface deteriorated beyond belief, then grew speed humps, many unmarked and a real hazard. We were really shaken up by the time we arrived at our hotel just before ten pm with barely time to eat before crashing.
    Read more