Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Whales or maybe not

    May 24, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Morning dawned a little grey still. Heading into Tofino we had some (dangerous ) time for shopping. Beautiful gallery of Roy Henry Vickers, craft and jewellery shops and Pina. We were booked for rib at 12.00 which we changed for more sedate and comfortable Chinook Princess at 12.30, theoretically to see California Grey whale. In the harbour we saw a Californian Sealion. As we departed with skipper Keith and crew Amber and Jamie, we got the safety briefing, and the sun came out, and we were then informed that the wind had got up and plans changed , so instead of Long Beach we kept within the channels to somewhere a whale had been seen in the morning. It got pretty rough towards the end of the channel which obliged us to turn round. We saw a sea otter on the way back then headed round towards the lighthouse which took us in front of our hotel. Still no whales, so we are granted a second go which we hope will deliver in the morning.
    The remaining afternoon we drove to Ocluelet down the coast and visited the main Pina store where they print clothing to order.
    On the way back we stopped at the Rainforest boardwalk for a memorable walk in the Forrest. There were many birds we heard, but we did also see a Wilson’s Warbler. Time running low we called at The Net for pizza to go which we had with the Five Vineyards Pinot Noir, sitting in our room overlooking the sunny beach, maybe even a sunset?!
    Read more