Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Whales and Nanaimo

    May 25, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Up early as we were booked onto a follow up boat trip since we saw no whales the previous day. Sunny to start though clouded over but less wind. We were able to head round to Long Beach where whales were reported feeding. Here indeed we found a host of spouts of Californian Gray whales. Choosing two which appeared like a cow and calf we spent many minutes watching them come up for breath, then dive down to feed. Awesome!
    Took a while, and a soup in Shelter, to warm up a bit. Then we drove back towards Nanaimo up the winding road, set to arrive around 16.00. A little hiccup with planned gas station not taking our cards then alternative via detour ended in road closures not permitting access to return the car! A large number of left turns later brought us to the drop off and there was Paula!
    Great to see her again and then all the family in their super home and we also met new dog, Bailey, an excitable morning hound. In the evening we all went for a walk at Piper’s which overlooks Shack Island and has some beautiful wild flowers and views across the sound to the mainland.
    Read more