Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Stay with wildlife

    January 12, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We awoke to find the Roos up and a little Joey out front. Having our first cuppa, two Emu strode past the back. We are truly staying in the wild.
    After scrumptious breakfast we headed to Pemberton, where after a coffee stop we boarded tram 1 for a ride along the tramway stopping at the Cascades falls and turning back after stopping on Warren Bridge. At the Cascades we were allowed off and spotted a Marron (crayfish) in the brown water. Wayne, our driver, gave a first class commentary much of it based on personal experience in the timber mill or family.
    On the way back we made a small detour along Cherry bearup rd.
    After lunch in the chalet we decided on a walk round Beedlup Falls and lake, a short drive away. The falls had a small amount of water trickling down among old Karri and Marri trees. Christopher however was intent on walking back to the chalet armed with a plan map from the property. He left us halfway round the lake heading up the Beedlinum track. We continued round the lake past Karri Valley Resort, where we had ice creams.
    When we got back there was no sign of Christopher so I set off up the track getting practically all the way back with no sign. Charlie and Jan meanwhile got the property owner , Roger, out in his 4-wheel drive while Sue waited at the chalet.
    I was picked up and we drove the last section of the path, then turned and scoured the fire break tracks to no avail. Returning to the chalet we found him exchanging shouts with Sue. He had missed the junction and chalet and walked much further on to the next road before turning back. It was a huge relief for all and Roger could get back to his 60th birthday party. Celebration all round.
    Read more