Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Retracing our steps

    March 7, 2020 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Malick was on hand to meet us off the train at Nuan Oya. His drive had taken just 30 minutes less. He took us up into Nuwara Eliya for a short boat trip round Lake Gregory, named after a former governor.
    We then drove the route of two days before, back to Banderawella before striking off to Haputale, following the train line back almost to where we started.
    Here though we descended the escarpment before reaching our destination at Sennya Resorts on the edge of Horton Plains nature reserve and nestling below the mountains.
    We had to be talked in by the manager on the phone and the driveway almost demanded a 4x4 to get up. Accommodation is a lodge set among trees with three glass sides. There are white curtains all round also! The pool is magnificent and there is abundant wildlife. These are good as we have called off our hike tomorrow; still recovering from Wednesday white knuckles walk!!
    Evening meal was meant to be a buffet although we have seen no other guests. So it was an ‘as if ‘ buffet. We were escorted by a very nice security guard who told us they sometimes get wild buffalo and boar.
    Read more