Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7–9

    Easter and Wallabi group islands

    March 24 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    Arrived off Rat Island during supper
    Next Morning Explorer boat trip along Rat Island which is populated with fishing shacks
    Then on to Morley Island where we hoped to land half of us while the others swam. In the event landing was not possible due to tide and reefs so we snorkelled from the boat.
    Coral less colourful although bigger and more spectacular shapes. Many more fish of various sizes some b&w stripes, many dark, some with ‘eyes’ in their tails and a few with brilliant coloured fins.
    Lunchtime sailed to East Wallabi Island for afternoon visit to Turtle Bay.
    East Wallabi is close to the area where the Dutch East Indiaman Batavia went aground in 1629 with gruesome consequences for many of the crew and passengers. The island, although uninhabited, has an airstrip public shelters and toilet. We enjoyed a short walk to the other side seeing dragons and King salamanders with beautiful patterns, Tamara Wallaby, three Ospreys, Reef Heron and Sooty Oystercatchers.
    Some then swan or snorkelled off the beach and the day ended with drinks and canapés on deckchairs in the late afternoon sun for 120 people- a phenomenal operation for the crew to accomplish.
    We dined on the after deck watching the sun set and the almost full moon rise, while one of the crew stacked all the deckchairs on top of one of the Explorers which were then hoisted up back into storage (none were lost overboard).
    Dinner was bisque or bruschetta, cod or tenderloin and drambuie strawberry cheesecake . What a day!
    Read more