Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Cala Pi, Mallorca

    June 2, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After a few hours we throttled back to avoid arriving too early.
    Paul and I had been there on a charter holiday a few years before and we remembered the entrance as being a narrow cleft in the cliffs. We didn't want to enter until after dawn when we could see exactly where we were going.

    Paul and Laura were on watch when we arrived off Cala Pi and Paul did a few laps of the bay while waiting for dawn before he called me.
    I couldn't have a better first mate!
    After it brightened up, we entered slowly before dropping the anchor on the sandy bottom. We then blew up the inflatable, again a first timer, before going to the cliff face to tie our stern, preventing Eureka from swinging.

    The cliff face has some ancient loops cut into the rock for ropes to be passed through. In our case we wanted our stern to be tied to the cliff to prevent us from swinging around as space was limited and while we were the now the only boat there, other boats would be expected to arrive later in the morning.

    We were moored up by 07.00 and an hour later the ladies decided to head ashore in the dinghy leaving Paul and myself to catch up on some sleep.
    Nobody was left aboard to complain about our snoring!

    Later mid-morning when I woke up, I put up the bimini for some shade in the cockpit and fitted the wind scoop to the fore hatch.
    It was after getting very hot and some other yachts had arrived and moored outside us, closer to the mouth of the cala.

    By midday the ladies were back having explored someplace for dinner and made some purchases for lunch.
    We settled down for the afternoon, had lunch, swam, read and did other things that didn’t use much energy.

    I got bored and when the next yacht to us got it’s anchor caught on the bottom, I jumped in the dinghy and went over to assist.
    The crew consisted of an elderly couple and their grandson.
    The grandson had a hook and was trying to slide it down the chain to the anchor in order to trip the anchor.
    It wasn’t easy from the deck with the glare from the surface of the water and it was much easier for me in the dinghy as I could get right over it using my body to create a shadow and trip the anchor.
    Job done, thanks from the grandfather etc. and back to Eureka.
    Now what to do with the rest of the afternoon?

    As the sun started to go down we headed ashore, this time using the outboard yet another first. It needed a good couple of pulls of the starter before it started as it probable hadn’t been used in a while like lots of other things on the boat but we’re putting that right bit by bit.

    The dinghy only took three so we had to make two trips but the distance was short.
    We headed up the long stairs to the cliff top and didn’t have to go too far before we came to where the ladies had chosen for dinner.
    First of all we had a large G&T’s as pre dinner drinks. We may have had a second, I can't remember?
    At first we were going to have dinner outside but with the sun going down it was quickly cooling down, so we ended up bringing the cutlery and placemats indoors and finding another table. The staff were very understanding.

    On our way back we couldn’t get the engine started so had to row in the dark.

    Fitz’s nightcap came out for medicinal purposes after an awkward boarding when he temporarily lost control of his leg and shortly afterwards we headed down below to sleep after another enjoyable day.

    Leg 3 - 88 mls. Total 491 mls.
    Read more