Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    The French march on

    June 26, 2016 in Portugal ⋅ 24 °C

    It was flat calm this morning but we were not to be fooled. I knew the forecast was planning more wind for us later.
    The Portuguese flag was hanging limp but it was badly shredded by now and wouldn’t last much longer.

    We started off the day with a leisurely breakfast followed by a similarly leisurely lunch before we headed off to the nearest Irish pub at a bit of a run mainly because we had been a bit too leisurely and the match had started.

    When we reached the pub we discovered that Ireland were 1-0 up as a result of a penalty after only four minutes.
    Our euphoria didn’t last too long and we left the pub a bit deflated following a 2-1 defeat. The French march on while we staggered back towards our dinner.

    Maeve has changed her flight from Porto to Lisbon and Norma is going to stay on a bit longer and still fly home from Porto just on a different day so some of the pressure to leave Cascais was gone.

    Paddy Meehan contacted me and is looking for a lift home from Vigo.
    He’s there doing a bit of work to his own boat which he has berthed there for the past two seasons.
    I’m not sure if he is avoiding paying Michael O’Leary of Ryanair fame a few euros or if he’s actually doing me a favour by crewing for me?
    I am required to have three experienced crew for the Biscay leg and I am grateful to him no matter the reason as he is good friend, great company and a seasoned sailor.

    It’s Maeve’s last night in Cascais so the three found a nice restaurant for dinner and then had an early night as we have an early start to the airport tomorrow.
    At least Maeve got to do one leg even if it didn't involve any sailing, hopefully Norma would get to do the leg to Porto if we can ever get out of here.
    Read more