Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    To Glandore with a bit of fog

    May 25, 2021 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    The forecast seemed to have got it right and the winds had eased when we woke up about 07.00.
    Unfortunally it was raining but we didn't care. Any start is a good start.
    Visibility was down to half a mile as we followed ‘Second Chance’ out of the harbour.
    Navigation was done on the plotter. We could barely see Jim but had him on AIS but as we only had a receiver and not a transponder they couldn’t see us.

    At the Daunt we at last had enough wind and hoisted sail and were off on a reach in a Southerly Force 3-4.
    Jim radioed that they had passed a large whale but we never saw it but did see a basking shark off Oysterhaven.

    The rain had stopped by the time we got to the Old Head and we could at last see 'Second Chance' inside us while we stayed a little further offshore.

    We were making 7 knts. on a reach and beginning to eat into the miles to Glandore as the wind strengthen a bit.
    The wind went around to the east crossing Clonakility bay and our genoa didn’t like it as it was being smothered by the main. We tried goose winging for a while but in the end we furled the genny in a bit to reduce the overlap which helped.
    The wind died approaching the Galley so we furled the genny and later dropped the main, motoring into Glandore and picked up a visitors mooring at 17.30 closely followed in by ‘Second Chance’.

    The bimini was put up, not for the sun but to keep the rain off. Unfortunally it started again as we entered the harbour and it didn't stop until after we were in bed. Jim & Angela had the luxury of a cockpit tent.

    Brian and I chilled out with a beer as we decided not to bother going ashore as there was nothing open anyway due to covid.
    We organised with Jim & Angela about tomorrow, destination Cape Clear and leaving by 09.00. Simple?
    Had the dinner, washed down with a beer and after a long chat with Brian, headed to bed.
    We had made the start and the weather had to improve, didn’t it?
    Read more